Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Happy Shrove Tuesday!

Lent is upon us again (how is that possible?). Matt and I are still working out the details of our Lenten practice but I'll update you as soon as it is a done deal (aka tomorrow).

I'm sure some of you are wondering why on earth I called this Shrove Tuesday and not Fat Tuesday. Well, being the liturgical nerds we are, "Shrove Tuesday" reflects more of the Anglican tradition. It is a word that basically refers to the confession and absolution of sin. If you are Episcopalian or Lutheran or Methodist then you have probably heard this term used before. But for all us crazy Baptists out there (who me?) this is perhaps a newer term (well not all of us live in a liturgical desert and might actually have used this term before).

I also like to call this Pancake Tuesday! Back in the day all foods rich in sugar, fat, etc. would be thrown out for fasting during Lent. So tonight we will be feasting on some of these bad boys at church:

No comments:

Post a Comment