Thursday, December 2, 2010

Anticipation

This Christmas I am experiencing a heightened sense of anticipation. Although some of it is surely due to the fact that Matt and I basically missed much of Advent last year because of our wedding and honeymoon, I am keenly aware that there are a number of other reasons that I am clinging to this word.

You see, it's been since JULY that I have seen my family (well I guess I got a sneak peek when Mary Beth came in for Samford's homecoming, but that was only 1 night). This is the longest that we have ever gone without seeing one another, without hugging, laughing, or looking one another in the eyes (well there is Skype....). I am experiencing anticipation in a new way, a way that is different than the childhood anticipation of Santa and gifts. It is anticipation of the celebration of life, of health, of a loving family, and faith.

The book we are studying this Advent (Simply Wait) season defines holy anticipation as "that breathtaking space in between what has been, what is, and what is to come." I feel like I am living grounded in just such holy anticipation. May you too feel a bit of this breathtaking space.

1 comment:

  1. We are full of anticipation as well. Mom was doing some shopping today while I waited in the car listening to Christmas CDs thinking how excited I was that I was going to be able to see you and your sister. Advent has a whole new fullness and wonder for me this year.

    ReplyDelete